Posted: Jul 02, 2012 8:00 AM
- Diapers: Keep a minimum of three to four diapers in your diaper bag at all times.
- Wipes: Wipes will come in handy for changing diapers, cleaning hands and wiping down whatever else comes up.
- Diaper cream: A diaper rash can show up at any time.
- Changing pad: If your diaper bag doesn't come with one -- add one.
- Bottle: If your baby is bottle-fed make sure you have a bottle ready.
- Sippy cup: Traveling with a toddler? Don't forget a sippy.
- Formula dispenser: If your baby is formula-fed, I recommend keeping a formula dispenser containing pre-measured formula to make a quick bottle on the fly.
- Bib: It's more than likely that your baby or toddler will eat while you are out. A bib will come in handy more often than not.
- Spoon: A clean baby spoon kept in a Ziploc baggy will insure that you always have something to feed your baby once they start on solids.
- Change of clothes: This is one of the most important things in your diaper bag. Keep a clean outfit for your child in a gallon size Ziploc bag. Without a spare set of clothes, a diaper blowout, vomit disaster or other spill will ruin an outing. If you want to take it a step further for times when you are traveling (like on a plane ride), bring a spare set of clothes for yourself. If the baby vomits all over you, sitting like that for hours on a plane could prove to be very unpleasant for both you and the other passengers.
- Toys: A busy baby is a happy baby.
- Receiving blanket: A receiving blanket has so many uses from a nursing cover to an impromptu peek-a-boo game starter to a burp cloth.
- Money: Keep a $10 bill in your diaper bag for those times that you forget your wallet. You never know when you'll need it.
- Hand sanitizer: Germs are everywhere so you always want to keep a travel-size hand sanitizer bottle close by.
I recommend doing a stock check of your diaper bag regularly. Every time you leave the house, check that bag! Make sure everything has been re-stocked so you aren't left diaper-less in the most inopportune time.