Posted: Dec 26, 2012 5:00 AM
3 Reasons to say yes to having a television in your bedroom
- Sick-day lifesavers: Whether it's you who is sick or your kids, being able to snuggle up in bed and watch classic, feel-better movies like When Harry Met Sally or Sleepless in Seattle (for you!) and re-runs of Dora the Explorer for your sick kiddo. And, it's extra nice for when you have one child that is sick and needs to be quarantined from the rest of the family — set up a sick room in your bedroom, favorite kid-movie on, water bottle and cozy blankets nearby.
- He watches, she watches: Your husband is watching football... again. And, you are dying to watch the latest episode of that insanely good guilty-pleasure show that you recorded earlier in the week. Let him hog the television in the family room, grab a fresh cup of coffee and watch your chick-flick from the comfort of your bedroom! You may never watch TV in the family room again!
- After-hours movie time, ahem: Let's just say that there are some movies that shouldn't be watched in areas where your 5-year-old may come stumbling down the stairs at midnight and catch you watching. Bedroom TV to the rescue! Keep those more mature movies and television shows to be watched exclusively in your bedroom and avoid coming up from the basement from doing laundry to find your preschooler watching the latest episode of Dexter.
3 Reasons to keep your bedroom television-free
- Using television as a sleeping aid: There's something so lulling about falling asleep with the television on — put on an old episode of Friends or one of those late-night home shopping channels and you'll be sleeping like a baby in no time. But, it's easy to become addicted to falling asleep with the television on and having one in the bedroom will only make this habit harder to break.
- Less talk, more TV: While many couples love catching up on their shows or the news together in bed at the end of a long day, the bedroom should be a place where your relationship comes first and electronics come second. Along with your smartphone, tablet readers and laptops, it will do your relationship good to leave the devices at the door... TV included.
- Those time-suck morning news shows: We love a little morning news as much as the next girl, but wow, can they suck you in first thing in the morning! Having a TV in the bedroom can easily throw your morning routine off balance if you get distracted by catching up on Kathie Lee and Hoda's favorite new brand of chardonnay or what boy band is putting on a pre-8 a.m. concert to screaming moms.
Leave a comment!^ Tell us what you think... Is a TV in the bedroom the best thing since DVD players in your minivan or is it a deal breaker?