There is nothing more magical than a pregnant belly as it grows and takes shape over the course of pregnancy. Pictures are a wonderful keepsake, but a three-dimensional cast of your belly is an amazing visual reminder of this special time in your life. Casting a mold of your baby bump is a relatively easy job, but requires at least one assistant. Make it a romantic memory by having your husband or partner assist you, or turn it into a fun way to share your pregnancy with your best girlfriends.
Capture it with a kit
You can purchase a kit with all of the supplies you will need and easy-to-follow instructions. The Belly Casting Kit ($26, Motherhood Maternity) comes packaged in a paint can, and makes a wonderful gift for any expectant mother. Target offers the Pearhead White Belly Casting Kit (under $20, online only) as an easy way to create your cast.
Create your own
With a few simple instructions and basic supplies, you can also do this project without purchasing a kit.
What you'll need:
- Drop cloth or old plastic tablecloth to protect the floor
- Old towel
- Pan of warm water
- Petroleum jelly
- Plaster gauze bandages, cut in various lengths of 6 to 12 inches long
What to do:
- Spread the drop cloth on the floor to protect the area where you will be working.
- Remove your jewelry and wear old pants or leggings.
- Bare your entire torso, down to your lower belly.
- Find a position that is most comfortable for you, whether standing or sitting in a chair. If seated, cover the chair with an old towel.
- Apply the petroleum jelly to your entire torso, and everywhere the plaster bandages will come in contact with your skin.
- Your assistant will run the gauze strips through the warm water, wetting them enough so that they will stick, then start smoothing them over your belly and torso. The strips should overlap each other, so that there are no gaps between them. Work quickly, as the strips will dry in about 5 minutes.
- Once the entire torso is covered, allow a few extra minutes for drying before your assistant gently pries the mold from your skin.
- If you plan to hang the cast, you might want to use a nail to make a few small holes near the top for ribbon.
- Allow about 24 hours for the cast to dry completely.
Your baby bump belly cast will be a lasting memory of the amazing time when your baby was growing and changing inside you.