The television characters of Downton Abbey are listed alphabetically and are accompanied by the talented actors who portray them. Wouldn't they make great baby names?
The women of Downton Abbey
Will your baby girl-to-be most resemble Mary, Edith, Sybil, Cora or one of these lovely ladies?
- Anna – Anna Smith (Joanne Froggatt) was the head housemaid at Downton Abbey before marrying John Bates, who went to prison for murdering his first wife, Vera Bates.
- Cora – Countess of Grantham Cora Crawley (Elizabeth McGovern) is the American wife of Robert Crawley and the mother of Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil.
- Daisy – Widow Daisy Mason (Sophie McShera), an assistant cook at Downton Abbey, married Private William out of pity as he lay dying at the estate.
- Daphne – Mrs. Horace Bryant (Christine Mackie) is the mother of the late Major Charles Bryant.
- Edith – Lady Edith Crawley (Laura Carmichael), the middle and least-attractive sister, was embittered by the family's treatment of her and entered a relationship with a farmer before pursuing a career in the newspaper industry.
- Ethel – Housemaid Ethel Parks (Amy Nuttall) bore Major Charles Bryant's son, Charlie, and turned him over to be raised by his wealthy grandparents.
- Gwen – Tender housemaid Gwen Dawson (Rose Leslie) received help from Lady Sybil to get a job with the telephone company.
- Isobel – Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton) is the widow of Dr. Reginald Crawley, mother of the late Matthew Crawley and mother-in-law of Lady Mary Crawley.
- Ivy – Kitchen maid Ivy Stuart (Cara Theobold) pursued Jimmy Kent while being pursued by Alfred and others, much to the chagrin of jealous colleague Daisy Mason.
- Jane – Widowed Jane Moorsum (Clare Calbraith), took a job at Downton Abbey to support her 12-year-old son Freddie, and shared some kisses with Lord Robert.
- Lavinia – Lavinia Swire (Zoe Boyle), fiance of Matthew Crawley, died of the Spanish flu and left Matthew available for Lady Mary.
- Martha – Wealthy American Martha Levinson (Shirley MacLaine) is the mother of Countess Cora Crawley and grandmother of Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil.
- Mary – Lady Mary Crawley (Michelle Dockery), the spunkiest – and prettiest – of the three sisters wants desperately to be the family's heir.
- Rosamund – Meddling Lady Rosamund Painswick (Samantha Bond), widow of Marmaduke Painswick, is the daughter of the late 6th Earl of Grantham and Violet and sister of Robert.
- Rose – Lady Rose MacClare (Lily James), the youngest (and wildest) daughter of Hugh and Susan MacClare, resides at Downton Abbey when her parents are traveling.
- Sarah – Miss Sarah O'Brien (Siobhan Finneran) is the unpleasant lady's maid to Countess Cora.
- Sybil – Rebellious Lady Sybil Crawley (Jessica Brown Findlay), the youngest of the sisters and a suffragette, loves politics and the family's chauffeur, Tom Branson.
- Violet – Crotchety Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess of Grantham (Maggie Smith), does her best to control her relatives to ensure the continued prominent status of the family.
The men of Downton Abbey
Robert is powerful. Jimmy is ambitious. Which of these Downton men will inspire the name of your baby boy-to-be?
- Alfred – Hard-working footman Alfred Nugent (Matt Milne) is Sarah O'Brien's nephew. He was pursued by Daisy and Miss Reed but took a fancy to Ivy Stuart.
- Anthony – Countess Cora invited local landowner Sir Anthony Strallan (Robert Bathurst), widower of Lady Maud Strallan and brother of Mrs. Chetwood, to Downton Abbey to keep Lady Mary busy, but he prefers Lady Edith.
- Horace – Horace Bryant, husband of Daphne and father of the late Major Charles Bryant, grudgingly agrees to take in little "Charlie," the boy that his son fathered a child with housemaid Ethel Parks.
- Carlisle – Wealthy and powerful newspaper proprietor Sir Richard Carlisle (Iain Glen), son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Mark Carlisle, blackmailed Lady Mary into becoming his wife.
- Carson – Mr. Charles "Charlie" Carson (Jim Carter) is the devoted butler of Downton Abbey, where he has worked since he was a boy.
- Charles – After Major Charles Bryant (Daniel Pirrie) fathered a child with housemaid Ethel Parks – a child he did not want to acknowledge – he was killed on the Italian front during the Battle of Vittorio Veneto.
- Drake – Mr. John Drake (Fergus O'Donnell), a farmer on the estate, has a wife and several young children but takes a liking to tractor-driving Lady Edith.
- Evelyn – The Honorable Evelyn Napier (Brendan Patricks), son of Viscount Branksome, brought Kemal Pamuk to Downton Abbey and unwittingly jinxed his own fate with Lady Mary.
- George – George Murray (Jonathan Coy) is Lord Grantham's lawyer and confidant.
- Henry – Henry Lang (Cal Macaninch) replaced John Bates after Bates and developed bonds with both Sarah O'Brien and Ethel Parks.
- Jimmy – Both Ivy Stuart and Thomas Barrow take a liking to ambitious footman James "Jimmy Kent" (Ed Speleers).
- Kemal – Kemal Pamuk (Theo James) was the handsome Turkish diplomat who died while having sex with Lady Mary.
- Matthew – Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), the only child of Reginald and Isobel Crawley, is Lady Mary's cousin/husband and the heir of Lord Grantham. He was killed in a car accident right after Mary gave birth to their son.
- Michael – Wealthy newspaper editor Michael Gregson (Charles Edwards) hires and falls for Lady Edith, but he is married and cannot divorce his wife.
- Patrick – Downton heir Patrick Crawley, the only son of James Crawley, drowned with the Titanic and then was impersonated by Major Gordon.
- Robert – Earl of Grantham Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville), patriarch of Downton Abbey, is husband to Countess Cora and father to Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil.
- Thomas – Thomas Barrow (Rob James-Collier) is the calculating gay butler at Downton Abbey.
- Travis – Reverend Travis (Michael Cochrane) is the local churchman who conducts most Downton Abbey religious events.
- William – Private William Mason (Thomas Howes) was sent to serve Matthew Crawley on the fighting front. He married Daisy Mason as was dying from war injuries.