Pigs in a blanket are a classic family favorite, and were often served at my house as a kid growing up. I remember my mom making them on busy nights when we did not have a lot of time to spend making supper in the kitchen.
Rolling a crescent roll around all of those hot dogs can be tedious, but with this quick and easy recipe made with slices of bread you won't have to worry about rolling anymore! This recipe is sure to please the kids, but keep the adults in the family happy as well by bringing in some more grown-up ingredients.
Instead of plain white bread and American cheese, try using a hearty rye bread and pepper jack and cheddar cheeses. This meal is so easy to assemble that you can have it prepped, cooked and on the table in less than 15 minutes. Serve these pigs in a blanket alongside some homemade french fries or fresh apple slices -- and you have a meal that the family will ask for again and again.
Pigs in a blanket recipe
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the four slices of bread out on a large baking sheet. Layer one slice of cheddar cheese and one slice of pepper jack cheese on each slice of bread. Place a hot dog diagonally across each slice of bread on top of the cheese.
- Grab two opposing corners of the bread and fold the bread up around the hot dog until the corners meet. Using toothpicks, secure the bread in place around the hot dog.
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the hot dogs are cooked through.