One of the best parts of eating out for dinner is the appetizers. Often, it simply doesn't occur to me how easy some of my favorite appetizers might be to make at home!
The next time you are craving some mozzarella sticks, skip the expense and the long wait at your favorite restaurant chain and make these fresh and tasty appetizers right in your own kitchen. This recipe is even more interesting than what you'll get in a restaurant because these mozzarella sticks are made with taco seasoning to add a little spice.
Instead of marinara sauce, serve these taco mozzarella sticks with some of your favorite salsa for dipping -- and you have an appetizer or afternoon snack that the whole family will enjoy!
Taco mozzarella sticks
Makes 16 mozzarella sticks
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- Slice each mozzarella cheese stick in half crosswise.
- Put the milk and the flour in two separate shallow bowls. Coat each cheese stick in milk and then dredge it in the flour until it is completely coated.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a large flat plate and toss with the taco seasoning until well combined.
- In another small bowl, beat one egg.
- Coat each of the flour coated cheese sticks in egg, then roll them in the bread crumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Place the mozzarella sticks on a sheet of wax paper and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, place each of the mozzarella sticks in the skillet.
- Cook the cheese sticks in the oil for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Cook until all sides are lightly browned, approximately 8 minutes. Take care not to overcook or the cheese will melt.
- Serve immediately with your favorite salsa for dipping.