Sometimes a bowl of cold cereal is just not enough to motivate the family in the morning. At the same time, busy moms don't always have time to stand over a hot skillet to prepare a feast of eggs, bacon and hash browns. This breakfast cake is the perfect mix of deliciousness and convenience to start your morning off right. You can prepare this dish fresh in the morning, or you can save yourself time by making it ahead the night before and reheating it when you get up in the morning. This cake is so tasty that the kids will wonder if it's breakfast or dessert, but mom can rest easy knowing it's made with nutritious applesauce and protein-packed pecans to start their day off right.
Applesauce breakfast crumb cake
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup candied pecans
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the egg, unsweetened applesauce, cooking oil and vanilla.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Finely chop the candied pecans and place them in a small bowl. Add in the brown sugar and butter. Using your hands, combine the sugar, butter and pecans until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until a fork comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.