Walnut flax waffles
Makes 8 waffles
- 1-1/2 cups plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds (flaxseed meal)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat waffle maker to medium-high.
- In blender, combine almond milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and vinegar. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add flax seeds and blend for 1 minute or until slightly frothy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add almond milk mixture and stir just until blended. Gently stir in walnuts.
- Spray preheated waffle maker with cooking spray. For each waffle, pour about 1/3 cup (75 ml) batter into waffle maker. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions until golden brown.
tip^Look for packages of ready-ground flax seeds, which may be labeled "flaxseed meal," or use a spice or coffee grinder to grind whole flax seeds to a very fine meal.
Nutrients per waffle
Total fat 10 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 201 mg
Carbohydrate 5 g
Fiber 1 g
Protein 3 g
Calcium 43 mg
Iron 0.4 mg
Image credit: Colin Erricson / www.robertrose.ca