Posted: Apr 10, 2012 7:46 PM
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the baking soda, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and egg into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk slightly to break up the yolk and then add the buttermilk.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour and stir until mixed — do not over-mix or the muffins will be tough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface.
- Knead gently for a few seconds — just to make the dough hold together.
- Roll into a 12 x 24-inch rectangle.
- Spread the dough with the three tablespoons of softened butter.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it over the butter.
- Roll the dough up into a log.
- Cut the log into 12 slices.
- Put each slice into a well-greased muffin cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the muffins cool in the pans for five minutes and then turn them out onto the counter.
For the glaze
- Mix the powdered sugar, melted butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Add milk if needed to give it the consistency of a thick glaze.
- Drizzle the muffins with the icing while they are still warm.