Use a mixture of any fresh, in-season fruit cut into bite-sized pieces. Adding a variety of colors and flavors will result in the most eye-appealing salad. Don't forget to give your whale twinkling eyes and a happy smile!
You will need
- A sharp knife
- A melon baller
- A large, oblong watermelon
- A mixture of fresh fruit
The body of the whale will hold the fruit just like any serving bowl would. The fruit will release a lot of juice so use a slotted serving spoon.
- Slice a thin layer off the bottom of the melon to make it sit securely on a platter.
- Use a felt-tip marker to draw the outline of your whale. Make the tail come up over the back.
- Draw two eyes and a mouth on the front of the melon, if desired.
- Carefully cut along the outline of the whale.
- Remove the watermelon rind that will not be needed.
- Carve out the eyes and mouth.
- Carefully remove the flesh from the melon, leaving about a half-inch thickness.
- Use the melon baller to make watermelon balls. Place them in a bowl.
- Use the melon baller to make balls from cantaloupe, honeydew or other melon. Add to the watermelon.
- Add the rest of the fruit you plan on using – grapes, berries, pineapple or whatever you like.
- Pile the fruit into the hollowed-out melon.
- Chill and serve.
You will probably have more fruit than will fit in the melon at once. Save it in a tightly-covered container and refill the watermelon as needed.