Red, white & blue slaw salad
Serve this colorful side dish with your favorite barbecue foods.
- 12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup coleslaw dressing
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, cabbage and the coleslaw dressing and mix well.
- Embellish with the tomatoes and blue cheese.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
Mom Tip^Roll a vanilla ice cream cone in red and blue sprinkles! ~Abigail
Did you ever think chicken could be red, white and blue? With red berry sauce and blueberry stuffing, your white chicken is all set!
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, halved
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- Combine all of the ingredients in a pot over medium heat.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking until the sauce starts to thicken.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grease the grill slats and start the grill.
- While the grill heats, butterfly the chicken breasts.
- Spread 1/4 of the ricotta on each breast and spread the blueberries over the cheese.
- Fold the chicken back over and secure with some twine. Coat generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken 10 minutes on each side. Cool slightly.
- Serve with the berry sauce.
Mom Tip^Make finger sandwiches with the white bread, strawberry jelly and blueberries. ~Robyn
Patriotic gelatin salad
This gelatin salad is almost too pretty to eat… almost.
- 2 packages blueberry gelatin (3 ounces each)
- 2 packages strawberry gelatin (3 ounces each)
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In four separate bowls, prepare the blue and red gelatin as instructed on the package.
- Pour one bowl of blue gelatin into an oiled 10-inch fluted tube pan. Chill 30 minutes or until it is almost set.
- Set aside the remaining bowls of gelatin at room temperature.
- Soften the unflavored gelatin in the remaining cold water and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan to just below boiling. Stir in the softened gelatin and the sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream and the vanilla until it is smooth and spoon 1-1/2 cups over the set blue gelatin in the fluted pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Spoon one bowl of the room-temperature red gelatin over the sour cream layer. Chill another 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups of the sour cream mixture over the red gelatin.
- Repeat, adding the layers of the blue gelatin, sour cream mixture and the strawberry gelatin. Chill between each layer.
- Chill the finished dessert overnight.
Mom Tip^ Stick a toothpick flag in hamburgers and hot dogs for a festive effect. ~Jennifer
Cheryl's patriotic cookies
Delight kids and adults alike with Cheryl & Co.'s famous buttercream cookies. Festive red-white-and-blue sprinkles embellish the tasty frosting, and it all arrives in a fun fireworks-designed reusable tin. Priced at $39, you can get your own Summer Fun Gift Tin at Cheryls.com.
Mom Tip^ Make patriotic kabobs. Skewer strawberries and blue berries with something white, such as angel food cake, bananas, marshmallows or cheese. ~SueAnn