I love a good fried chicken sandwich. But, the fat grams pile up quickly. I also really love everything grilled during the summer months. I have grilled fruit, vegetables, fries, burgers and meat dishes of all kinds. The perfect way to combine these two loves is to grill my breaded chicken sandwich! Paired with classic grill flavors in a delicious marinade, this chicken sandwich is a flavor super star!
This chicken sandwich is so good, you will wish you could make room for two of them.
Grilled breaded chicken sandwich
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Olive oil spray (non propellant)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Red onion
- Pickle slices
- In a 2-cup bowl (or measuring cup) combine the milk and lemon juice. Set it aside until it is thick (5 to 10 minutes). Add the paprika, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper to the milk mixture and whisk it to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts to a resealable 1-gallon plastic zipper bag. Pour the marinade over top. Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Combine the panko and Italian bread crumbs in a large flat bowl. Add one breast at a time, spoon the breadcrumbs on top of the chicken and gently press down the bread crumbs onto the chicken. Flip the chicken and repeat until you have a nice coating on each chicken breast. Transfer the breasts to a baking sheet or a platter.
- Spray each breast liberally with olive oil on each side.
- Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side, with the grill closed, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken on a hamburger bun with the lettuce, red onion, pickle slices and mayonnaise.
TIP^ Don’t feel like grilling tonight, but can’t wait to try this scrumptious sandwich? Broil these in your oven by placing them on a baking sheet about 4 inches from the heat. Broil for 4-6 minutes on each side until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oven when they are cooked through.