Just the thought of a chicken pot pie really takes me back to my childhood. I can still remember breaking the crust and watching the filling run all over my plate. When I started working on this classic comfort food recipe, I knew it had to have a whole crust and a thick and rich sauce filled with chicken and veggies. Some experiences you really want to share with your kids, this is one of them.
Serving these to the family was so much fun. I watched with great anticipation as my 2-year-old cut into her mini chicken pot pie and you could see the delight in her eyes when she saw the filling. These mini chicken pot pies are filled with fresh vegetables and chicken cooked in a thick and rich, creamy cheese sauce. These are a treat for the whole family. We ate every bite!
Tip^ I like to double the recipe for the filling and cook those in 1-cup, oven-safe dishes with the left-over pie crust rolled out and cut to just hang over the top. Either way these are amazing and you will be making them again and again!
Mini chicken pot pies
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced in 1/2-inches
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Two (10-inch) unfold-and-bake frozen pie crust, refrigerated
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- For the pot pie filling: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat combine the chicken, vegetables, water and bouillon. Stir to combine, boil for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat. Place a sieve over a bowl and strain out the chicken and vegetables, reserving the broth.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter and the flour, whisk to combine. Cook about 2 minutes (to cook out the floury taste). Add the salt, pepper, milk and reserved chicken broth. Whisk occasionally until the sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese. Stir to combine. Once the cheese is melted, add the reserved chicken and vegetables. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- For assembly: On a floured cutting board, unroll one pie crust (leaving the other in the fridge until you are ready for it). Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out four pieces of dough, edge to edge. Using the 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out another four pieces of dough, edge to edge. Repeat with the second pie crust. Press the large rounds of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spoon the sauce into the pastry. Cover with the small round and use a fork to crimp the edges together. Use a knife to cut slits in the top of the pasty so steam can escape.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve. Enjoy!