Apple pie just got deliciously easy. It is served in a store-bought mini phyllo cup with homemade pie filling. This could be your favorite fall dessert. Sweet Gala apples are cooked to perfection in a sweet sauce with warm cinnamon and hints of nutmeg. A crunchy crumble sits perfectly on top of your apple pie and a caramel sauce is drizzled over top to bring it all together.
For a quick fix dessert anytime you can keep the homemade pie filling in the fridge, using a resealable jar. Then pull a few pie shells out of the freezer and surprise your family or your unexpected dinner guest with these little treats that look like you have worked hard in the kitchen for hours.
Time Saving Shortcut^To make these even faster, you can pick up a can of apple pie filling and a jar of caramel topping at the market. These bake up in 10 minutes flat!
Mini apple pie bites
- 2 medium Gala apples, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 30 mini fillo cups (phyllo)
- 1 recipe apple pie filling
- 1 recipe simple caramel sauce
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine all of the ingredients (except the flour). Cook until the apples start to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and stir until your sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the apple pie topping. Fill each cup with 1 teaspoon of the apple pie filling and 1 teaspoon of the apple pie topping.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the topping is lightly toasted. Remove from oven.
- Prepare the caramel sauce. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the cups with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy!
Apple pie topping
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- Combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- Cut in the butter with a fork until you have pea-sized bits of topping.
- 8 caramels, plastic removed
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat the caramels and milk in a heat-proof bowl, in the microwave.
- Heat for 15 second increments stirring in between until your caramel sauce comes together.