Warning: This spring snack mix is addictive. It's colorful and sweet, crunchy and fun and you won't believe the secret ingredient: Cake mix! Crispy Rice Chex is sweetened with a variety of instant cake mixes making a delicious, simple-to-make, crunchy treat. Move over puppy chow, spring mix is here to stay!
Spring snack mix
- 1 box of Rice Chex
- 2 packages of white chocolate baking squares and blue, red and yellow food coloring or 3 packages of candy melts in spring colors such as blue, pink and yellow
- 1 package of spring M&M'S or Cadbury mini eggs
- 1/2 cup each of strawberry, yellow and funfetti cake mix
- 3 gallon-sized storage bags
- Measure 1/2 cup of each cake mix into three separate storage bags.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the baking squares or candy melts 30 seconds at a time. Stir the squares between each 30-second melting time, until the chocolate is smooth.
- If you're using baking squares, consider using a little food coloring to brighten the colors in the mix. A good rule of thumb is one drop of food coloring per baking square to make light, spring colors.
- Pour 1/3 of the Rice Chex into a large bowl (this will be approximately three generous cups).
- Drizzle 1/3 of the melted baking squares over the cereal and stir the mixture until the Chex is coated.
- Pour the coated cereal into one of the storage bags filled with the cake mix. Close the bag and shake it thoroughly until the Chex is coated with the cake mix.
- Repeat this process for all three kinds of cake mix, each in their own bag.
- Stir all of the coated cereal and the spring chocolate eggs together and your snack mix is ready!
- Store your spring mix in a closed storage bag or a sealed storage container.
one More thought^ Your spring snack mix will be a fun addition to your spring table, a sweet alternative to popcorn during spring movie nights and a great after-school snack for your kids. It would also be lovely packaged in treat bags, take out boxes or Mason jars and given to family and friends for sweet spring surprises!