While there's no denying that the classic American Key lime pie, made with Key lime juice, egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust and topped with meringue, is a deliciously refreshing summer treat, who has time to spend in the kitchen in the summer making it?
We've taken those same flavors and created a hand-held version to keep in your freezer to greet you on a hot summer evening. All of the flavor, none of the work... that sounds like summer to us!
Graham cracker and Key lime ice cream sandwiches
- Graham crackers
- Key lime ice cream
- Remove graham crackers from their packaging and break each cracker into 2 squares.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer and allow to set on the counter for a few minutes to soften slightly (don't let it get too soft, however, or you'll have a sloppy mess).
- Using a melon baller or a small ice cream scoop, scoop out a few small balls of ice cream and place on 1 side of a graham cracker square.
- Top the ice cream scoops with another graham cracker square and press together evenly until the ice cream reaches the edges. Graham crackers break rather easily, so a gentle hand works best. A great way to do this is to place it on the counter and gently press down with the palm of your hand.
- Using a butter knife, smooth out the 4 sides wherever the ice cream may have squeezed out and fill in any gaps in the ice cream edge.
- Return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up before serving.
- These refreshing ice cream sandwiches will keep well for up to a week if wrapped carefully.