We love this healthy pasta dish because it's loaded with layers of fresh flavor. Seared heirloom tomatoes, tons of fresh sautéed garlic and perfectly cooked shrimp come together to create the tasty but light sauce for this pasta. We're certain that once you serve this to your family, it will instantly become a favorite!
Shrimp and seared tomato pasta
- 1/2 pound extra-large shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you're brave!)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh pepper
- 6 ounces linguine (spaghetti, buccatini or fettuccine will do in a pinch)
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes (traditional cherry tomatoes will work if necessary)
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add linguine to the pot of boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, sprinkle shrimp with kosher salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add cherry tomatoes to the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and sauté for another 2 minutes on 1 side.
- Flip the shrimp over and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Drain pasta when done, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Combine pasta, shrimp and tomatoes and reserved cooking water.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Bonus^ Tomatoes are packed with the antioxidant lycopene and are loaded with other nutrients, including vitamin C, folate and potassium. Studies show that lycopene can positively impact your health in a whole slew of ways, including lowering your risk of cancer and macular degenerative disease and it can also help to lower your cholesterol. So, don't be shy with those tomatoes... they're great for your health!