Want to score some major brownie points with the family? Put on your apron and make a batch of these baked cinnamon apple donuts with cinnamon apple glaze. As the wonderful smells from the oven fill the house, the kids will drool with excitement.
Baked cinnamon apple donuts
Makes 12 to 15
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 apples, peeled and diced (we recommend Honeycrisps or Pink Lady apples)
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a paddle stand mixer, add the softened butter and superfine sugar. Cream together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat the mixture until it is fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, apple cider and buttermilk and continue to mix until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients while mixing the dough. Stop once the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Add the diced apples and mix once again, just until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. At this time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and carefully spoon into greased donut pans, filling about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until they are a golden brown color and a cake tester inserted in the middle of the donut comes out clean. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer the donuts to a wire cooling rack.
- Once cool to the touch, the donuts can either be dipped in the cinnamon apple glaze or it can be drizzled on the top. Don't glaze the donuts until you are about to eat them. Store leftover donuts in a covered container.
Baker's Tip^ Make your own buttermilk by combining 1/4 cup milk with 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
Cinnamon apple glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- Pour powdered sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the apple cider 1 tablespoon at a time and whisk to create a smooth glaze.
- If drizzling the donuts with glaze, this should be enough. If you are going to dip the donuts, double the recipe. Store leftover glaze in an airtight container and stir before using.