Photo credit: lovro77/ iStock/360/ Getty Images
Quinoa caprese salad
Chock full of protein and essential amino acids, mingling classic caprese ingredients with quinoa — the latest craze in cuisine — makes this light and gluten-free salad from The Fit Housewife the perfect addition to your Mother's Day brunch.
Photo credit: The Fit Housewife
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini), halved
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, scrape into a serving bowl.
- Add tomatoes, basil and mozzarella.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together minced red onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt. Pour over quinoa and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with some fresh ground black pepper. Best served at room temperature.
Kale Caesar salad with crispy chickpeas
Kale is boasted as the world's super food, but it really becomes a hero with this twist on Caesar salad by Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers.
Photo credit: Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons water to thin if necessary
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the garbanzo beans:
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- 1 head lacianto kale
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Caesar dressing
- Crispy garbanzo beans
Directions for the Crispy Garbanzo Beans:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans; lay them on a double layer of paper towels and dry them as much as you can. Slightly rub each garbanzo bean between your fingers to remove the thin layer.
- Line the dried garbanzo beans on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast the garbanzo beans for 35 to 40 minutes until brown and crispy.
- While the garbanzos are roasting, make the dressing:
- Combine all ingredients except oil, salt and pepper in the base of a blender.
- With the motor running, slowly add the oil in a thin stream into the blender.
- When the dressing is thoroughly mixed, test for desired thickness. If you want it a little thinner, add the water a teaspoon at a time.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the salad:
- Clean the kale and remove the leaves from the thick inner stalk.
- Chop the kale and transfer to a large bowl.
- Dress with desired amount of Caesar dressing (I used about 1/2-2/3 of this batch) and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top with crispy garbanzo beans.
Vegetarian lentil taco salad with tomatoes, olives and avocado
This vegetarian taco salad recipe by Kalyn's Kitchen is the perfect meatless alternative for a hearty Mother's Day salad, but swap out chicken stock for vegetable stock and you have yourself a vegan alternative to the same spring salad.
Photo credit: Kalyn's Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups brown lentils, cooked in 6 cups salted water
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 can (6 ounce drained weight) black olives, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- Ranch dressing for serving (optional)
- Grated cheese for serving (optional)
Lentil seasoning ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles with juice (not jalapenos, unless you really like it spicy)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Kalyn's Taco Seasoning (or use your favorite purchased taco seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons (more or less to taste) Green Tabasco Sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
Low fat and low calories, shrimp, lime and cilantro make this refreshing salad recipe by Skinny Taste the perfect pairing for your Mother's Day meal.
Photo credit: Skinny Taste
- 1 pound jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped*
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
Chicken strawberry salad wrap
Whether you're looking for a yummy Mother's Day salad wrap or just seeking a colorful alternative to boring lunches, this gorgeous chicken and strawberry salad by Muy Bueno Cookbook is almost too pretty to eat — but you will gobble it up.
Photo credit: Muy Bueno Cookbook
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Spinach tortilla wraps
- Leafy greens or romaine lettuce
- Skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup quartered strawberries
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Greek tortellini salad
Turn your Greek salad up a notch when you discover this pasta salad recipe by Two Peas and Their Pod that will make your Mother's Day brunch simply sing.
Photo credit: Two Peas and Their Pod
- 1 (20 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pit removed and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste