Looking for a new way to add veggies to the kids' dinner? Try making a batch of this vegetable fried rice with homemade teriyaki sauce for dinner. Whether serving as the main dish or a side to go along with grilled meat, it's easy to make during the week. Plus, it tastes so good the kids won't complain about eating their veggies (or at least they'll complain a little less).
Vegetable fried rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, top removed, deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- Teriyaki sauce (recipe below)
Note^ Other veggies to add include asparagus tips, broccoli and peas
- Rinse white rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice and the water to a rice cooker and cook according to manufacturer's directions (or steam rice on the stove if you don't have a rice cooker).
- Coat a large skillet pan with sesame oil and turn on heat to medium.
- Crack the 2 eggs into a small bowl, mix with a fork or a whisk and cook in the skillet pan, stirring as needed to scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are done cooking, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- If needed, add more sesame oil to the skillet pan. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots and pineapple to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes. You want them to be cooked but still have crunch, stirring as needed.
- Add 1 cup steamed rice and stir.
- Pour in desired amount of teriyaki sauce (start with 1/2 cup) and stir. Cover the pan with a lid and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, stir and serve.
Homemade teriyaki sauce
Makes 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- Add all ingredients to a small pot and simmer over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, stir occasionally.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat and let sit until ready to use. Leftover teriyaki sauce can be transferred to a glass bottle or jar and stored in the refrigerator.